Board of Management
What is the Board of Management?
The “Board of Management” manages the school on behalf of the Patron, and for the benefit of the students. Its job is to make sure that the school is run efficiently and provides all students with a good education.
Under the Education Act, 1998, the Patron is obliged to appoint, where practicable, a Board of Management “for the purposes of ensuring that a school is managed in a spirit of partnership.”
In making appointments, the patron must comply with Ministerial directions about gender balance. The board of management includes representatives of parents, teachers, the patron, the principal and the community.
Who is on the board?
The composition of the Board of Management 2016 – 2020 is:
- Fr Jim Kehoe
- Áine Kennedy
- Flora Daly
- Stephen O’ Leary
- Noreen Cummins
- Tom Moran
- Róisín Assinder
- Sarah Meyler
Functions of the Board
The board’s main function is to manage the school on behalf of the patron and for the benefit of the students. To provide an appropriate education for each student at the school.
In carrying out its functions, the board must
- Act in accordance with Ministerial policy.
- Uphold the ethos of the school and be accountable to the patron for this.
- Act in accordance with the Law.
- Consult with and inform the patron of decisions and proposals.
- Publish the school’s policy on admission to and participation in the school, including its policy on expulsion and suspension of students, admission and participation by students with disabilities or with other special educational needs.
- Ensure that the school’s admissions policy respects the choices of parents and the principles of equality, and the constitutional rights of all concerned.
- Have regard for the principles and requirements of a democratic society and promote respect for the diversity of values, beliefs, traditions, languages and ways of life in our society.
- Have regard to the efficient use of resources.
- Use the resources provided by the state to make reasonable provision and accommodation for students with disabilities or special needs.