The present school in Carrig is officially Scoil Mhuire, Danescastle. Although the village is called Carrig on Bannow, the school is known as Danescastle as the school originated in a mud walled house at Duff’s Corner. The school was transferred to the village in 1829 but the registered name of Danescastle was kept. This school lasted until 1893 when it was replaced by the present school. The school was extended in 1958 to include the children of Bannow school under the amalgamation of primary schools. A three classroom extension was added in the ‘80s with a further three classrooms and General Purpose Room opened in 2008. The most recent extension consists of one further classroom built in 2013. Now, there are around 180 children attending Danescastle N.S..