Bannow Parents Council
Welcome Parents! All parents of children attending Danescastle National School are automatically members of Bannow Parents Council. As a member you can become part of the BPC committee and become more involved in decision making and fundraising for your child’s school. The committee voluntarily manage the tasks required during the year and we work together to create a positive and active partnership between home and school – helping every child to get the best that primary education can offer.
What we do……
The committee has shared responsibility for a number of areas which include:
- Planning and managing the program of activities for the year.
- Raising funds to purchase additional educational items for the school.
- Communicating and consulting with parents and other members of the school community.
- Contributing to the development and reviewing of school policies.
- Inviting speakers to address parents on issues which are topical or relevant.
- Planning for the future and constantly developing and expanding the council.
We meet on the last Tuesday of the month at 8pm. We would love to see you at our monthly meeting. It’s a great way of learning more about the school, meeting other parents, seeing how we run fundraising events and how the money raised is spent on items for the school. If you would like to become a committee member please attend our AGM in October. If you have any questions then please come to our meetings, speak to one of the committee or leave a message with Philomena in the school office.
Monthly Ticket Draw
BPC Monthly Ticket Draw: One of the ways we raise funds is through our monthly ticket draw (held during our meeting). Each September a form will be sent home asking if you would like to be included in the draw. Tickets are sent to you through the school with your eldest child each month. It is a book of 3 tickets for €5 and the prizes are; 1st €100, 2nd €50 and four prizes of €15 each. Please find a free ticket in your pack which you can fill out and return to be included in our June draw.
The 2016/2017 school year……
The BPC have had a busy 2016/2017 school year. Here is a rundown of just some of what we have organised and funded:
- Funding: New Books, Board Games and contributing towards the Coirm and Peace Proms trips. We also subsidised the swimming lessons and bus travel for the swimming groups – a major expense this year as costs have risen.
- Talks for Parents: Transition from Primary to Post Primary, Internet Safety and Drugs Awareness Talks
- Confirmation and Communion: Purchased flowers, gifts and cards and organised the confirmation and communion teas.
- Fun nights and Discos: The Halloween disco is always popular with the children and there is an end-of-year disco organised for the end of June.
- School Calendar: Produced and sold to parents and families (makes a great Christmas present!)
- Easter Raffle: Every child received a treat and every child had a chance of winning the Class Easter Egg and the overall Easter Egg Hamper.
- St Patrick’s Day Parade: The school float was a great success.
- Provided help and extra hands for school functions (book club, Grandparents day, Leavers night, etc).
- Community Grants: The BPC applied for and are delighted to have received a €200 Amenity and Arts Grant. This will be used by the school by the end of October 2017.
The BPC look forward to meeting you all in the coming year.
Chairperson: Michelle Power, Assistant Chairperson: Martina Sinnott, Secretary: Deirdre French, Assistant Secretary: OPEN, Treasurer: Catherine Devereux, Assistant Treasurer: Carmel Doran Ennis.
Talk by Peader Maxwell titled Understanding and Responding to Anxiety in Adolescence takes place in the CBS School library this evening the 25th April at 7.30pm. All are welcome to attend.
May Monthly Draw Winners
- Ali Caroll
- Karen & Jess Codd
- Tadgh Frazer
- Wal and Kate Cullen
- Jude Byrne
- Rachel Quigley
Special thanks to the Bannow Parents Council that sponsored a new set of jerseys for our Rackard League team.